Faye Aden is a recent graduate of York University and holds a Bachelor Degree in English. During her free time she enjoys reading, watching shows and online shopping.
I began seriously writing at the age of fifteen and have wrote an assortment of books many of which will thankfully not see the light of day. The first few novels I queried were rejected and rightfully so because my writing skill has vastly changed since then. On my current novel, the querying process went fairly fast with more full requests than all my other trunked novels combined, in less than two months I signed with the wonderful Rachel Brooks of BookEnds Literary on my Young Adult Fantasy book.
I currently hold an English Bachelor degree and have edited professional work for peers and also collaborated with critique partners to help take their writing to the next level.
I want to be a mentor so I can support and uplift writers and hopefully help some new voices get discovered. I completely believe in giving back to the community and the writing community is one that has always been full of amazing people who share great advice. I would love to get a chance to work with and hopefully build a long-term relationship with a new writer.
I am hoping to find a story that draws me into the lives of the characters. I want characters that make me care. I love stories that feature multi-faceted characters. I want morally grey characters and villains that are so sad they tug on your heartstrings and I want work that reflects the beautiful diversity of the world we live in.
- Own Voices
I love anything that is high-fantasy, contemporary fantasy, historical fantasy and magical realism. I love political fantasy that includes lots of backstabbing and betrayal. I love instances of humour, including banter and witty responses. I love of characters that challenge each other. I love the found-families trope and sibling relationships.
I WILL PROVIDE:
- Edit Letter (Big Picture developmental feedback)
- Line edit (dropping notes into a Word Document)
I would start off with a detailed edit letter drawing attention to character development, pace, and setting. I would sub-categorize these branches and give my mentee an overall view of the work they would have to put in. If the mentee would like I’d hop on a phone call to discuss all the big picture edits and discuss the nitty gritty of it all and also find a way to combine our ideas. Once the heavy-editing is done I would provide them with line edits and help them fix up any writing related issues such as stringy sentences or confusing lines.
My ideal mentee is dedicated and does not shrink away from hard work. Their willing to put in the work so we can both squeal about the results.
- Dark fantasy with lush settings and well-rounded villains.
- Beautiful, dreamy prose that drags you into a story and holds you captive.
- Heist fantasy books with a well-executed plan, with different moving parts and complexities.
- Contemporary fantasy that straddles the space between the mystical and the real. Give me teenagers saving (or destroying) the world.
- Urban fantasy with a diverse twist. Give me POC vampires, rooted in ancient folklore.
- Anything with a diverse group cast that steals your heart or is similar to the Six of Crows gang is well-welcomed.
- Genre-bending fantasy that mixes different elements, sci-fi and fantasy for example.
- Slow burn romance or anything with the enemies-to-lover’s trope.
- Found families and complex sibling relations.
- Matriarchal societies and anything with women in power.
- Well-researched historical fantasy or fantasy inspired by an under-represented culture.
- Above all, I am desperate for marginalized voices and books that represent the diverse world we live in.
DO NOT SEND ME:
- Books with a token diverse character that caters to stereotypes.
- Undeveloped romances or fast-paced romances.
- Insufficiently researched books
- Stories where woman are oppressed (or do not actively work against their society to change these ideologies)
- Game of Thrones
- Six of Crows
- The Cruel Prince
- Strange the Dreamer
- And I Darken